Can't hold an open house? Don't fear - there are other ways to drive interest.
According to the 2018 Zillow Group Consumer Housing Trends Report, 72% of sellers in urban areas and 63% in suburban areas hold an open house. However, while it may be a tried and true tool in a real estate agent’s toolbox, there are other ways to drive interest among would-be buyers. With COVID-19 putting an end to open houses in some areas, here are five other ways to boost traffic to your home right now.
- Make Photos and Videos Stand Out: Most buyers go online to shop for a home and complement their work with an agent. When it comes to what they want, more is better. Ask your agent to take photos or videos of every room, being careful to stage and light it properly before they film to present it in the best light.
- Boost Curb Appeal: Without open houses, curb appeal is more important than ever as buyers put more emphasis on what they can see. Keep up your yard and plantings. Paint the front door for a more welcoming entry. Upgrade your exterior lighting for evening drive-bys. And brighten the space with flower beds and fresh mulch.
- Promote Safety for Showings: Some buyers want to see a house in person, no matter how great the online resources. In these cases, be sure you communicate what you’re doing to keep your property safe for visitors. Have hand sanitizer at the entrance, wipe down any common surfaces like light switches and doorknobs and open up windows if the weather allows for some ventilation.
- Stage a Virtual Tour: With the increased reliance on video conferencing platforms during COVID-19, some shoppers may want to leverage the technology for a virtual tour of your property. That way, they can ask the agent questions in real time, ask to look more closely at certain areas or view spaces that may not be highlighted in photos or videos. When you have a tour scheduled, be sure your entire home is ready for viewing!
- The Right Agent: An open house is just one element of a comprehensive strategy agents should use to market a property. Make sure the agent you choose is creative and looks beyond open houses for other effective methods to drive traffic – now and after COVID-19.
Whether you’re preparing to buy or sell, use this list to create a buzz even if you can’t have an open house. Ready to get started? Click on the link below and get matched with a knowledgeable agent.